Makes 4 servings
- 1 cube chicken bullion
- 1 cup dry white rice
- 1 15oz can black beans
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- 1/2 packet low-sodium taco seasoning
- 1/4 cup of water
- Shredded cheddar cheese for topping
- Sour cream for serving
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Follow directions for cooking rice. When water comes to boil, before adding rice, add a cube of chicken bullion and disolve. This will give the rice a little extra flavor.
- Place beans in strainer and rinse.
- Once rice is cooked, bring the pot to a low heat and add beans and onions. Mix 1/2 packet of taco seasoning with 1/4 cup water in a separate bowl. Once mixed add to the rice, beans and onions. Stir until the rice is coated with taco seasoning mixture.
- Put the concoction in a glass rectangular baking dish, like Pyrex and press down on the rice to make it compact. Or, if you don’t have glass, you can easily use metal. Whatever you got, use it! Put in oven and bake for 15 minutes.
- After 15 minutes pull out rice and sprinkle the top with a coating of shredded cheese – use as much or as little as you like!
- Place back in the oven until cheese is completely melted – 5-7 minutes.
- Serve warm with a dollop of cool sour cream.